1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. Nc3 d6 4. e4 Bg7 5. Be3 The '150' attack against the Pirc/ Modern which I have now played for several years and feel I know better than some of my other openings!
5... c6 6. Qd2 Ng4 According to my books this simply wastes time for black and so it proved
7. Bg5 h6 8. Bh4 Qc7 9. h3 Nf6 10. O-O-O I am now very comfortable with my position
10... Nfd7 11. Bg3 e5 12. dxe5 dxe5 13. Bc4 O-O 14. Nh4 The dreaded Fritz thinks I should have played Qd6, swapped queens and keep my positional advantage. I am sure that is technically right but I became obsessed with opening lines to Bob's king while his queenside was still gummed up.
14... Kh7 15. f4 b5 I thought that Bob would just take the f pawn and play Ne5 after which I had no real idea what I would do next. Fritz confirms that white has very little advantage in this position.
15... exf4 16. Bxf4 Ne5=
16. Bd3 Nc5 17. f5 Now I could play this move I felt I was again getting some pressure.
17... g5 18. Nf3 Nbd7 19. Bf2 a5 20. g4 Kg8 I felt at the time that this was unnecessarily defensive and Fritz agrees. Black would be better continuing his own pawn push before I could open the h file. Bob was using up most of his clock time at this stage while I was still playing at the right tempo and feeling to my amazement that I was more in control of what was going on than my higher graded opponent.
21. h4 f6 I was definitely playing above myself. I was sure that this move opening the white diagonal to the king could not be right and I even found the correct tactical way of proving it!
22. hxg5 hxg5 23. Bxb5 I was obsessed for a while with sacrificing on g5 but could not see a decisive win after Nxg5 fxg5 Qxg5. To make these lines work I needed to get my white squared bishop onto the a2 g8 diagonal. It was while I was looking at ways of doing it that I spotted that I had a small combination that won at least apawn.
23... Ba6 cxb5 Qd5+ winning the a8 rook. I spent some time checking that I could get my queen out again before playing Bxb5!
24. Bxa6 Rxa6 25. Qe2 What make t his a special game for me is that I also found this move winning more material thus completing my best game for a long time.